So what can introverts do to make networking a bit easier? Practice and preparation are key. Below is a summary of the networking for introverts tips highlighted in a recent article.
- Get to know people before – check social media sites and/or event sponsor’s forums/blogs
- Go prepared – bring business cards, know the dress code, and have a map to the location
- Start a conversation right away – don’t wait; the longer you do, the harder it will be to get started
- Look for another seemingly shy person and engage them in conversation
- Don’t talk too fast – ask open-ended questions and actively listen to the response
- Don’t overanalyze afterwards – if you made a mistake, don’t beat yourself up
Remember, individuals are complex and multi-faceted. Introversion/Extroversion is just one component of your personality; other components will impact your success in networking and a variety of other business- and career-related activities (e.g., sales, conflict resolution, team building, leadership). One framework for understanding personality that Life Strategies uses is Personality Dimensions (PD). Want to learn more? Book a workshop for your team – contact us at email@example.com. Interested in training to use Personality Dimensions ? Consider becoming a certified facilitator – click here to learn more.
Feel free to share your networking experiences as introverts or extroverts in the comments section. What’s your biggest challenge? How does your personality impact your networking success?